Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Hollywood Brown Derby at Disney's Hollywood Studios Review | Fantasmic Dinner Package | Walt Disney World

hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review

hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
Our our September- October 2014 trip to Walt Disney World, we opted to try the Fantasmic Dinner Package for the first time. Disney's Hollywood Studios has a lunch or dinner Fantasmic package for three separate restaurants that provides priority seating at the Fantasmic show that night. The three restaurants that are available (at the time of posting) are The Hollywood Brown Derby, Mama Melrose Restrante, and Hollywood and Vine.

Reservations are required for any of the lunch or dinner choices and they're pretty quickly taken, even during the lower crowd times. I really wanted to get good Fantasmic seats because even with Fast Passes I always end up on the far left of the amphitheater. So I chose the only one available, which made my decision much easier :). Since it was a 3:30 reservation time, it was technically dinner (which also brings along higher prices.) We made it a very late lunch because dinner at 3:30 is a little too early for us.

The Hollywood Brown Derby Fantasmic Dinner Package included an appetizer, entree, and dessert trio for each individual for a set price. Drinks are also included, other than alcohol. It is on the more expensive side, especially for inside-a-park food. The ranges are $50-58. The other two restaurants that have the lunch and dinner packages are significantly cheaper. I would have likely chosen one of those two just for that reason, but I'm sort of glad that I had to choose this place to force me to try it. (It's always been on my bucket list for this park.)

I'll start with the ambiance. It felt more like a restaurant that I'd visit here in Chicago than in a theme park, and sometimes that's pretty nice. I enjoyed the caricatures on the walls and I'm a sucker for architecture so I enjoyed the motif. The service was excellent, as most of my experiences at Walt Disney World are. The hostess was great as well as our waiter. Those were all impressive. Ready for the food? That's what you came here for, right?

hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
I ordered the shrimp appetizer that came with grits. I ate every single morsel and wanted more. I really wished this had been larger and been my entree. The rock shrimp was huge and crispy and the grits were creamy and flavorful. I was impressed. Ashley on the other hand ordered crab spring rolls and they left much to be desired. She really didn't finish it. They were not her style. Neither of us typically like cold crab (I don't know why so many people do!) and the crab claw was chilled. The spring roll part of it was boring and blah. Not interesting. Mine was way better :).
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
For entrees, we chose the duck and the filet. I enjoyed half of my duck entree. I wasn't a huge fan of the duck breast but the leg was delicious. The vegetables with both were pretty good, but didn't wow me. Ashley's steak was decent, but not the best she's ever had.
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
hollywood brown derby fantasmic package review
For dessert, you chose a three of a number of dessert options. I chose the three that seemed like they might suit my tastes. But to be honest, none of them sounded my style. I'm a plain-dessert person. Cookies, chocolate cake, cheesecake (with no raspberry filling or nuts or weird sauce.) Most of the desserts were a little on the experimental/fancier side and we just didn't have anything we enjoyed. This is more just our style preferences. While we can sometimes get a little experimental with savory food- dessert is just plain jane for us. We don't like a lot of variation. Since it was my birthday that month, they included a little candle on one of the small dessert options. It was hazelnut and chocolate which was better than anything on either of our trio choices, but it still wasn't anything to write home about.

At the end of every meal, I always ask myself if I regret paying the amount I paid for the food I got. That's how I determine if it's worth a second trip to me. I don't mind paying for good food, and a lot of our budget goes to delicious dining at home. But this just didn't hit the mark for me. I was past the point of diminishing returns after the appetizer portion. I don't think it's worth the over $100 price tag since the only thing that we truly enjoyed was one appetizer. Next time, I would really try to grab a reservation at one of the other two restaurants offering the Fantasmic package. Fantasmic actually ended up being rained out and we didn't get to see the show with great seating anyway, but I wasn't completely defeated about my late lunch/early dinner. I still enjoyed the experience and the iced tea. :)

Have you ever eaten at Hollywood Brown Derby? How did you enjoy it?





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© LOST GIRLS TRAVEL | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig